Star Training complies with the Privacy Act 1988 (Commonwealth) and subsequently in accordance with the thirteen APP’s outlined in Schedule 1 of the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012, which prescribe and mandate the way organisations must collect, manage, use, secure, disclose and dispose of personal and sensitive information.
Star Training is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information and we treat any information collected and retained with the respect and importance it deserves. We will be honest and transparent in relation to the way we manage your information.
Why we collect personal information?
We collect personal information in order to provide you as a client, with access to our training and associated services, and so we can better understand how we can improve our provision of services to you now and into the future. Additionally, a large component of what we do, requires us to collect personal information for mandatory statistical data as prescribed by government regulators and various secta.
So you understand though, you have the right not to provide us with personal information if you so choose, but if you decline to provide your personal information, unfortunately we may not be able to:
- provide the product or service you requested, or
- enter into a business relationship with you.
Star Training will only collect personal information that is required for the purposes of employment or education, or in meeting government reporting requirements and it will only be used for the specific purposes for which it was collected.
What types of information do we collect in general?
So we can provide our range of services to you, we may have to collect personal information deemed necessary for us to supply you with the service you have requested.
The information we collect is defined under the current legislation as personal and sensitive, and information collected by us may fall into both categories. The following specific guidelines as defined in the Privacy Act are as follows:
- Personal information: “information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable: (a) whether the information or opinion is true or not; and (b) whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.”
- Sensitive information: “(a) information or an opinion about an individual’s: (i) racial or ethnic origin, or (ii) political opinions, or (iii) membership of a political association, or (iv) religious beliefs or affiliations, or (v) philosophical beliefs, or (vi) membership of a professional or trade association, or (vii) membership of a trade union, or (viii) sexual preferences or practices, or (ix) criminal record, that is also personal information; or (b) health information about an individual; or (c) genetic information about an individual that is not otherwise health information; or (d) biometric information that is to be used for the purposes of automated biometric verification or biometric identification; or (e) biometric templates”.
In general terms, information collected from you will include:
- Solicited information: contact information such as name, organisation, position, address, telephone, and email, employment and educational histories, referees reports, date of birth and marital status.
- Information collected by Star Training which may be regarded as sensitive:
- ‘Disability’ and ‘long-term impairment status’ (health); and ‘indigenous status’, ‘language spoken at home’, ‘proficiency in spoken English’, ‘country of birth’ (implies ethnic/racial origin). This information is specified in NCVER statistical data elements and is collected for national data reporting requirements.
- ‘Dietary requirements’ (health-related) should any catering be provided.
- Biographical information, which may contain information on ‘affiliations’ and ‘membership of a professional or trade association’ obtained from key note speakers for event marketing purposes and for training consultants for Star Training, involved with service delivery for us.
- ‘Health and work injury information’ relating to the impact for yourself as a client using our services and our ability to provide a service to you without breaching a Duty of Care.
No sensitive information will be collected without your express consent.
What information do we collect using technology?
Our website is designed to give you useful information in relation to our services and events. To track the use of our website and to continually develop it to meet your needs, we may collect information about who has accessed our site and which pages were viewed so as to determine overall use patterns. We only use such information collected for statistical purposes and do not attempt to identify individual users.
How do we collect your information?
Star Training will make all endeavours where possible to collect personal information directly from you. We will collect all personal information in writing in the first instance, either from a registration or enrolment form that has come directly from you. If the case arises, some instances may require personal information to be collected indirectly from a parent or guardian for those under the age of 18.
Star Training also collects personal information through direct marketing on its website via:
- General enquiry email contact
We will not collect any additional personal information other than for the purpose of ensuring we can deliver our services to you and information will only be collected in a fair and lawful manner.
If we receive personal information indirectly (unsolicited) from a party other than yourself, we will make a determination on whether the information needs to be retained in order to provide our services to you as previously explained, or whether the information can lawfully be destroyed or de-identified.
Use and disclosure of personal information
We will make every effort to ensure that your personal information remains confidential and secure and is only used for the primary purposes outlined in this document and only for any secondary purposes that you have been made aware of and have agreed to.
Star Training will not disclose, reveal, sell, share or pass your information onto a third party, without your express permission. Star Training does not sell its mailing lists to third parties for marketing purposes.
In some specific instances however, your information will need to be passed to a third party, they can include:
- Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA)
- Department of Education
- Department of Human Services
- Security Licensing and Enforcement Directorate (SLED)
- The National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER)
- Employment providers: this includes agencies who employ our graduates and require pre-employment information.
- Work placement and work training hosts: these are venues that we utilise to conduct your practical work based training and placement.
Only personal information required complying with Federal or State based legislation for our scope of operation or Commonwealth contractual obligations will be passed to these third parties and at no time will we disclose any of your personal information to overseas recipients.
If required to do so, we may disclose personal information to law enforcement authorities when required or authorised under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order, or where it is reasonable to do so if there has been a threat to life or we believe a criminal act or unlawful activity has been committed. We may also disclose information if a permitted health condition exists or a health condition eventuates that may require emergency medical care for you.
Star Training does not sell its mailing lists to third parties for marketing purposes and will not use your information for purposes of direct marketing unless you have given your permission for this to occur. We may use client testimonials on our website but they will not identify you by name unless your express permission has been given.
Star Training will send out newsletters and corporate event information to existing and previous clients and to businesses aligned with our company. Anybody receiving information from us in error or who does not wish to receive such information, can contact us on 02 9897 5622 or email@example.com and request to have their name removed from our mailing lists.
Government related identifiers
Star Training does not adopt or disclose a government related identifier of an individual as its own identifier, unless we are authorised by law and prescribed by regulations to do so.
In the course of our provision of services as a training company, we may use a government related identifier, for example, Star Training uses contracted training staff who operate as sole traders and we will collect an Australian Business Number (ABN) for the purpose of contracting services.
We may also need to collect government related identifiers, such as a Medicare Card number, passport details or a driver’s licence in order to fulfil our obligations under Federal Law in the conduct of our operations as a training company.
Management of your personal information and its ‘Quality’
Star Training endeavours to ensure your personal information is accurate, up to date, complete and relevant. We will as a matter of course, routinely update personal information in our Student Management and Customer Relations Management systems.
We invite previous clients to keep their contact details up to date by requesting this through our online email contact at firstname.lastname@example.org and internal policy prescribes that anytime we contact you, we will ask if your personal information is up to date and accurate. We invite you to contact us on 02 9897 5622 at any time to provide us with updated personal information and you can also request access to your personal information at any time.
Star Training does not charge a fee for accessing or correcting your personal data.
Retention and disposal of your information and information security
Your personal information is held at Star Training in both electronic and paper format. We take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, loss and from unauthorized access or disclosure.
Specifically your information is retained:
- In our Student Management and Customer Relations Management Systems which hosts data externally with a third party and is secured in alignment with Commonwealth standards. The system is encrypted accordingly and secured with personalised user account passwords.
- For a period of time in hard copy archive, secured on site in locked cabinets.
- Periodically on Star Training systems and databases which are secured with individual user account passwords and user access privileges.
- On hard copy backup drives which are retained in the event of system failure or loss.
- Star Training will adopt a clear desk policy at close of business for documents containing personal information.
- Paper documents containing personal information which need to be destroyed will be sent for secure destruction with a commercial contractor.
We will retain personal information for as long as we are required to do so to conduct business activities in line with Commonwealth legislation or other legal requirements. This may include the retention of some personal information for up to 30 years.
As soon as you personal information or components of it are no longer required, and it is lawful to do so, Star Training will take all reasonable steps to destroy and/or de-identify the information.
If you have a complaint or concern about the way Star Training has managed or is managing your personal information, you should direct this in writing to ‘Star Training Compliance’ electronically using email@example.com or via post to:
STAR TRAINING Compliance
27 A South Street, Granville, NSW 2142
We will provide a response within 7 business days of receiving the grievance. If you do not receive a reply within this timeframe, please contact the Star Training RTO Manager on 02 9897 5622.
For all other privacy related enquiries, you can contact us on 02 9601 7345 and ask to speak with the Administration Manager.
This policy came into effect 12 March 2014 and will be reviewed periodically in line with internal Star Training procedure, or as required if further amendments to legislation occur.
This policy relates to the operation of Star Training both as a business and an training company and the provision of services to you as a client. A copy of this policy is also available on our website at http://www.startraining.edu.au/
For further information on legislation and the APP’s please navigate to:
WHY STAR TRAINING ACADEMY
Being one of Australia’s leading Registered Training Organisations. Our dedicated, knowledgeable staff will provide you with a learning experience designed for your success.
For More Information
- (02) 9897 5622
Consultation and Support